Saturday 18 December 2010

Oxford to Dubai : Story so far

to give you the background , I had a flight to Dubai tomorrow morning .
So the ever efficient me went to the bus station to find out what would be a good time to take a bus out of oxford . What do i find ? No buses out of Oxford it seems . Nothing to worry I tell my self "Aal is bell" as Aamir khan taught us. So I headed off to the train station.( Btw it had been snowing all morning and I was trudging along in 6 inches of snow.) Nothing to worry the lady at the counter says. We have a train at the platform ready to leave for london and we donot know when the next would be heading out . Hmm "Aal is bell" I tell myself and hurry back home to finish packing .Time is 4:30pm on 18th and I am ready to head off to london for a flight supposed to take off at 8:50 am on the 19th morning . Paranoid , I hear some of the non-believers say , but then they donot know of my harrowing experience of getting out of Dehra Dun to catch a flight from Delhi while coming to Oxford. 

So I head of to the station lugging my luggage :) in a small blizzard .Well for somone who has spent last 4 years in the impotent climate of Bangalore it was a small blizzard. I enter the train station and behold my luck is changing !! a train heading for london . so I hop into and am pretty smug about myself , thinking who can I visit for the night in london. But my luck never changes is just takes a turn for the worse . At Didcot (never mind where it is , not really worth knowing ) we are asked to switch trains and get on to the express to london . People jump off the train and run towards the express , trying to outdo each other while maintaining a facade of civility . (well there are only so many seats in a train) . 

I have standing in the train for 30 minutes waiting for the express to leave . No pressure in the train they say (Don't ask me , I have no idea what that means) . So all our running and jostling comes to a naught as we get off after 40 minutes . Another 10 minutes and I am on another train to London . It ain't that bad I tell myself . It could have been worse (If I had only known my future).

I reach paddington (London) at around 7:30 and having lost the enthusiasm of meeting anybody decide to head for heathrow . But then Heathrow is closed :) . Obviously I didn't know that when I was at paddington . At Heathrow I am stuck for around 40 minutes in a sea of people who are trying to go everywhere. 

Anyways somehow now I am inside the airport having started 6 hours earlier from Oxford . There is no place to sit , the wifi does not work and my backside hurts having sat on the cold floor for 20 minutes .

"Aal is bell" I tell myself ...

Ohh btw my flight is rescheduled for 12:00 noon tomorrow ..

"Aal is not bloody bell"

No comments:

Post a Comment